Kurt Fleming’s Classic Collier’s Welsh Rarebit recipe
by Chef Foode - Friday January 18, 2013 6:01 pm
Collier's Cheddar does what it says on the tin- Powerful and Welsh. Aged up to 20 months, it contains lush crunchy crystals of amino acids that add a unique crunch and savour. Eat as is, or knock up this ultimate rarebit from Kurt Fleming
- 50g plain flour
- 50g Collier’s Welsh Valleys butter
- 250g Collier’s Powerful Welsh Cheddar, grated
- 250ml Welsh ale, such as Tomos Watkin or Brains, warmed
- 2 tsp Double Dragon Welsh mustard
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 slices fresh white bread, thickly sliced
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the grill to high.
- In a small saucepan melt the butter and stir in the flour to make a roux.
- Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring continuously.
- Gradually add the warmed beer until you have a smooth but thick sauce.
- Add the grated Collier’s and stir until melted.
- Add the mustard and Worcestershire sauce to the mixture and season with black pepper.
- Lightly toast then butter the bread, then divide the cheesy mixture between the slices.
- Cook under the grill until brown and bubbling.
For more information on Collier’s Powerful Welsh Cheddar, visit www.collierscheese.com