Beef Ribs Alhambra, Aji Limo
by Chef Foode - Friday July 15, 2016 8:07 am
A DAY IN ADVANCE!
- 2 KG BEEF RIBS (JACOBS LADDER)
- ONE HEAD OF GARLIC CLOVES,PEELED
- 30 GRM GINGER.PEELED AND SLICED
- ONE BOTTLE ALHAMBRA BEER
- 60 GRM SOFT DARK BROWN (MUSCOVADO) SUGAR
- A HANDFUL OF FRESH CORIANDER
- 4 LONG RED CHILLIES,SEEDS REMOVED
- 20 GRMS AJI PANCA
- Combine all the ingredients in a large oven proof dish,add cold wáter to cover the ribs,cover the dish tightly,and braise at 80 C/Gas mark ½ for 8-10 hours. After 8 hours check the ribs.If the meat is very tender and pulls easily off the bone then they are ready.
- Allow the ribs to cool in the cooking liquid then remove the ribs and chill.
- Reserve the cooking liquid for the sauce
ON THE DAY!
BEEF RIB SAUCE
- BEEF RIB COOKING LIQUID
- 100 GRM TAMARIND PASTE
- 150 GRM SAKE
- 100 GRM MIRIN
- 30 GRM SHERRY VINEGAR
- 8 GRM THAI RED CHILLI PASTE
- Bring the beef cooking liquid to the boil and reduce by half.
- Put the sherry vinegar in a separate saucepan bring to the boil and reduce by half
- Add the sake to the pan and again reduce by half.
- Add the mirin to the pan and again reduce by half
- Add the tamarind and reduced beef rib cooking liquid and reduce to a sauce consistency that coats the back of a spoon.
- Add Thai chilli paste to taste
- Pass through a fine sieve.
BEEF RIB GLAZE
- ONE BUNCH OF SPRING ONIONS, GREEN PART ONLY,SLICED (SAVE THE WHITE PARTS FOR GARNISH)
- 200 GRM SAKE
- 200 GRM MIRIN
- 400 GRM DARK SOY SAUCE
- 250 GRM CHICKEN STOCK
- 1 BUNCH OF CORIANDER, ROOTS ONLY (SAVE THE LEAVES FOR GARNISH)
- 30 GRM GINGER
- ONE LONG RED CHILLIE
- 10 GRM GARLIC
- 200 GRM CASTER SUGAR
- ONE HALF BOTTLE OF ALHAMBRA BEER
- 2 GRM THAI RED CHILLI PASTE
- In a saucepan combine all the ingredients EXCEPT the Thai chilli paste, bring to the boil and then gently reduce, stirring frequently, until the mixture is sticky and glossy. Be careful not to allow the mixture to caramelize or burn..
- Add Thai chilli paste to taste.
- Pass the glaze through a fine sieve.
TO FINISH THE DISH
- Either light a barbecue, heat up a large cast iron griddle pan or heat the oven to 220 C/gas mark 7.
- Brush the beef ribs with the glaze and grill or roast, turning and brushing with more glaze occasionally, until the ribs are nicely browned and thoroughly heated through.
- While the ribs are cooking, warm up the sauce.
- Place the ribs on an attractive platter, garnish with chopped coriander leaves, and thinly sliced red chilli’s and spring onions. Serve the sauce on the side together with steamed rice or mashed potatoes and a crisp green salad.
More by this writer
- Loukoumades Weekend at White City Place
- El Pirata Mayfair Celebrates the World Cup with New Spanish Delicacies and Wines
- Wright Brothers Battersea Power Station Offer Seafood Treats Galore at London Seafood Festival
- Castilla y Leon promotes its gastronomy and wines in London
- Taste Of London Comes Together With World Class To Offer The Food And Drink Experiences Of The Summer