To celebrate being part of Samsung’s ‘Club Des Chefs’, Michelin-starred chef Michel Roux Jr. has developed mouth-watering recipes to suit every taste, from Quinoa and Broad Beans with Garlic and Coriander Pesto to refreshing Pan Seared Salmon with Rocket Condiment, Ceps, Garlic, Yellow Tomatoes’
Launched in June 2013, the Samsung Club des Chefs invites visionary chefs from around the world to contribute their unique insight and fresh ideas for creating next generation kitchen products.
Quinoa and Broad Beans with Garlic and Coriander Pesto
250g shelled broad beans
Put the broad beans into boiling salted water and cook until tender – 3-4 minutes depending on size. Drain, then plunge them into iced water to halt the cooking and fix the green colour. Drain again and remove the tough skins to reveal the sweet kernels.
Boil the quinoa in 1 ½ times its volume of water until completely cooked. Use the directions on the packet, since cooking times vary depending on where the quinoa comes from. Don’t let the pan dry out- the quinoa should still have a little moisture and consistency of a risotto. Add the shelled broad beans and mix in some pesto to taste. Season with a generous amount of pepper and salt.
Garlic and Coriander Pesto
12 cloves of garlic
2 big bunches of coriander (about 100g)
1 bunch of flat-leaf parsley
8 tbsp olive oil
This makes more than is needed for the quinoa recipe, but the pesto can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for two weeks. Great with grilled fish, salads or simply on toast.
Peel the garlic cloves. Blend with the remaining ingredients until paste like but not completely smooth. Be careful not to over-process or the pesto will lose its vibrant green colour. You can also make this pesto by hand with a pestle and mortar.
Pan Seared Salmon with Rocket Condiment, Ceps, Garlic, Yellow Tomatoes
2tbsp olive oil
2 Pavé (rectangle/square) salmon fillet skin on and pin boned
4 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
1tbsp olive oil
4 ceps mushrooms
8 yellow tomatoes, cherry or Datterini
1 spring onion with the green top
2 bunches of rocket salad
4tbsp olive oil
2tbsp Dijon mustard
Salt, pepper, Ice
For the crispy parsnips and leeks-
1 parsnip, peeled and shaved with a peeler
Rocket leaves for garnish
- Heat a medium frying pan and add the oil, once hot add the salmon and cook on each side for 2-3 minutes.
- Heat a small pan of boiling water and blanch the peeled garlic twice.
- Pan fry the cleaned ceps in oil, add garlic cloves and the tomatoes at the end to warm through.
- Chop the spring onion with the green and zest ½ lemon. Put in blender with all the other ingredients, 2-3 blocks of ice and blend until smooth. Add salt and pepper.
Method for the crispy parsnips or leeks-
- Heat a deep fat fryer to 180C. Place the parsnips or leeks in the deep fat fryer and cook for 1-2 minutes or until crispy.
- Place the salmon onto a serving plate along with the sauce and crispy parsnips or leeks.