Hand Held Lamb And Chorizo Pies Recipe
by Chef Foode - Friday March 3, 2017 12:03 pm
Next week – 6th to the 12th March 2017 – is officially British Pie Week and Simply Beef & Lamb is here to help you celebrate this national favourite in style, using Quality Standard beef and lamb.
Makes 12 mini pies
Preparation time: 35 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
375g/12oz lean lamb mince
2 spring onions, finely chopped
50g/2oz chorizo sausage, finely chopped
30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
Salt and freshly milled black pepper
2 x 320g packs shortcrust pastry
12 quail’s eggs, hard-boiled
Beaten egg, to glaze
For the Spiced Tomato Relish:
15ml/1tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 x 200g can chopped tomatoes
5ml/1tsp caster sugar
Pinch dried chilli flakes
15ml/1tbsp good balsamic vinegar
- To make the filling, in a large bowl mix together the mince, spring onions, chorizo and parsley. Season.
- On a lightly floured surface roll the pastry to a thickness of a one pound coin and cut out twelve 9cm/3½in circles to fit a 12-hole greased muffin tin. Cut twelve 7cm/2¾in circles for the lid.
- Gently press the large pastry circles into the holes of the muffin tins and half fill with a portion of the mince mixture. Top with a quail egg then a final layer of the mince mixture to cover.
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 6, 200°C/400°F. Brush the edges with the beaten egg, then place the lid on top, pressing the edges together to seal. Brush the tops with the remaining egg and make a hole in the centre for any steam to escape.
- Bake the pies for 25 minutes, then leave to cool in the tin.
- Meanwhile, prepare the relish; heat the oil in a non-stick pan. Cook the onions for 2-3 minutes, or until soft. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Serve the pies with the relish (both the pies and the relish taste great hot or cold).
This recipe works well with beef mince too.
More by this writer
- Oblix West Give You Back Your Lunch Hour
- Berber & Q Throws ‘Mechoui Alley’ Party To Celebrate The Launch Of Josh Katz’s Debut Cookbook
- The Hind’s Head to launch All-Star Guest Chef Series
- ROKA Canary Wharf launches ‘ROKA Summer Terrace Sessions’ in partnership with CÎROC vodka
- Ichiba To Open In Westfield