Royal happenings to celebrate the Royal Wedding
by Qin Xie - Sunday April 17, 2011 3:27 pm
Whether you think the Royal Wedding is an over-hyped media circus or the most exciting event to have happened for decades, or perhaps you're simply nonchalant about the whole thing, there's no denying that it's a great excuse to party. Taking place on the 29th of April, the event precedes and follows Bank Holidays giving some of us a much deserved break.
Naturally any excuse for eating and drinking is a good enough one for me so here's a small collection of what you could get up to in the name of the Royal Wedding.
- Fortnum & Mason are having a Royal Wedding brunch in-store on the 29th of April, where between 10.00am to 2.30pm, you will be able to watch the event on large screens and enjoy a champagne brunch. As well as small canapés, nibbles and dessert, there will also be a choice of mains. The brunch is priced at £75 per adult with various prices of children. Call 0845 602 5694 to book.
- The Roussilon will be serving a Royal Wedding Breakfast, from 7.00pm on the day of the wedding. It will be a five course menu, to include a glass of champagne, for £65 per person. They are also offering a Royal Wedding Brunch from 1pm to 4pm for £37.50. Call 020 7730 5550 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to book.
- Langtry's Restaurant will be serving up a replica of a four course meal that was served at the Queen Mother's wedding in 1923. Priced at £29.95, the meal will include consommé a la Windsor, lamb cutlets Prince Albert, strawberries Duchess Elizabeth and Montgomery cheddar with Queen Mary's Biscuits. Call 0207 201 6619 to book.
- The Balmoral in Edinburgh will be serving a special Royal Afternoon Tea until the 1st of May, priced at £23 per person. The Royal Scottish Blend tea will be served with finger sandwiches and a pastry selection. Call 0131 556 2414 to book.
- The Podium Restaurant at the Hilton Park Lane has created a Sapphire Afternoon Tea, inspired by Kate Middleton's sapphire engagement ring. The afternoon tea includes a complimentary Loveberry cocktail, sandwiches, scones, cupcakes, miniature fancies and a specially blended tea. It's priced at £32 per person and can be booked by calling 0207 208 4022 or at www.podiumrestaurant.com.
- Waterloo Bar and Grill will be serving Royal High Tea all day on the 29th of April. The menu will celebrate the best of British with a selection of Bramley apple pork pies, scones served with Jersey cream and Royal velvet cup cakes. The Royal High Tea is available for £30 and there is also a wedding special cocktail menu available. Call 0207 960 0202 to book.
- The Ritz will be offering a Monarchy & Matrimony programme. Guests will be able to enjoy a special Royal Afternoon Tea in Palm Court, for £50 per person, where live footage of the wedding will be streamed. Alternatively they can attend the Royal Wedding Brunch between 10.30am and 3.30pm, priced at £150. Bookings can be made by calling 020 7300 2345.
- Moti Mahal celebrates the event from the 25th to 29th of April with an Indian Afternoon Tea. There will be Masala Chai with sandwiches, scones, macaroons and sweets; all with an Indian slant. Priced at £21 per person, the Afternoon Tea is available between 3pm and 5pm and can be booked by calling 020 7240 9329 or emailing email@example.com.
- If you are a Will and you know a Kate, or vice versa, head on down to The Botanist or The Cadogan Arms for the chance to snap up a free three course meal. The first Wills and Kate pair, with ID proof, to present themselves at either venues will be treated to a three course meal plus a bottle of wine completely free. Visit www.thebotanistonsloanesquare.com and www.thecadoganarmschelsea.com for details.
- From 22nd to 25th April, Wellington Arch will be host to a “Let Them Eat Cake” exhibition, sponsored by Tate & Lyle. The unique space will be filled with royal wedding cakes through the ages. Admission is free and there will be workshops as well as cakes to eat. Visit www.facebook.com/welovebaking for more information.
- If you have more than enough wedding memorabilia, you can trade them in at Renaissance pubs across London for food and drink. The “swaperama” takes place between 12.00pm and 6.00pm on the 29th of April. A mug, tankard or a glass will get you a glass of house wine or a pint of beer, lager or cider; a side plate will get you a bar snack; and a main plate/silver spoon will get you a dish from the main menu up to the value of £12. Terms and conditions will apply so visit www.renaissancepubs.co.uk to find your nearest pub and more information.
- The Bavarian Beerhouse will be hosting a “Wills & Kate Lookalike Contest” on the night of the Royal Wedding, with no admission charge. In addition, every guest who dresses like a bride or groom will receive a free Feigling fig vodka shot. For further details visit www.bavarian-beerhouse.com.
- Soho's Secret Tea Room will be hosting various vintage inspired events on the 29th and 30th of April. From 9.30am until 2.30pm on the 29th of April, they will have an “eat as much as you like” champagne breakfast, priced at £69.95. From 2.00pm, lunch and traditional afternoon tea will be served with a variety of teas on offer. After 6.00pm, there will be a tea dance. Similar events will run on the 30th of April. Call 07827 532899 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to book.
- Lainston House Hotel in Hampshire will be hosting a Royal Wedding Tea Party on the 29th of April. Traditional English champagne afternoon tea will be served on the lawn while the wedding is broadcast live on a large screen set up especially for the event. The afternoon tea is only available on the 29th of April and will cost £35 per person. Call 01962 776088 to book.
- The Gun in the Docklands are hosting a day of eating and drinking from 10.00am to 10.00pm. For £10 you can enjoy two special Royal Wedding drinks or for £25 you can enjoy a sit down meal with a drink. There will also be an outdoor market stall selling various pub food. Of course, the wedding itself will be shown on large plasmas so you won't miss the event itself. Call 020 7515 5222 to book.
- Chez Manny in Battersea will be hosting a party from 10am to late. The restaurant will be opening up its patio and welcoming diners with live music, a large screen to watch the wedding, and free goodies to mark the occasion. Bookings for tables in the restaurant for food can be made by contacting Chez Manny on 0207 223 4040 or at www.chezmanny.com.
- Young's have created a special brew, the Prince of Ales, just for the occasion. It is available at selected Young's pubs until the 2nd of May. On the day of the Royal Wedding itself, the ale will be available for only £2 per pint until 2.00pm. Visit www.youngs.co.uk to find your nearest pub.
- Throughout April, The Manor House at Castle Combe, Wiltshire, will be offering its usual Michelin starred service but with a visit to Highgrove House included. You will be driven to Highgrove House in a chauffeur driven car, where you will receive a two hour garden tour led by a volunteer guide at the house. Two nights stay, including dinner and breakfast, is available for £775 per room. Call 01249 782206 to book.
- Park Plaza has created four cocktails to help you toast the Royal Wedding. There is something old (Old Fashioned), something new (Wedded Fizz), something borrowed (Best Man-hattan) and something blue (Blue Moon). The cocktails can be enjoyed at one of their London venues at £9 each. Visit www.parkplaza.com for more information.
- Yo! Sushi have created a special sushi dish - the smoked salmon, cream cheese and cucumber sushi 'sandwich'. The creation will be available nationwide from the 22nd of April for one week priced at £2.50. All proceeds from the sale of the 'sandwich' will be donated to Help for Heroes. Visit www.yosushi.com to find a Yo! Sushi near you.