Billington's Easter Simnel Brownie by Paul A Young
by Chef Foode - Sunday March 27, 2011 11:45 am
For Easter this year, chocolatier Paul A Young has teamed up with his sugar company of choice, Billington's, to create a Billington's Easter Simnel Brownie that embodies the simnel cakes of his childhood.
The brownie, made with Billington's unrefined sugar, will be available at Paul A Young stores from 28th March until 30th April. If you fancied making it yourself though, here's the recipe.
Billington's Easter Simnel Brownie
100g mixed dried vine fruits
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon maldon sea salt
50mls Brandy or orange juice if you prefer no alcohol.
110g unsalted butter
260g Billington's light muscovado sugar
75g Golden Syrup
300g 70% dark chocolate
4 medium free range eggs
80g Plain flour
100g uncoloured, unflavoured marzipan
50g Billington's dark muscovado sugar
- Pre heat the oven to 160C/325F/gas 3
- Soak the fruits in the Brandy or orange juice with the spices and salt over night.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter, Billington's light muscovado and syrup until smooth and glossy.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate, mixing until all the chocolate has fully melted.
- Whisk the eggs lightly and add to the chocolate mixture stirring well.
- Now add the soaked fruits and flour.
- Pour in to a parchment paper lined baking tin 15 x 20 x 2.5cm deep
- Grate the marzipan over the top of the brownie and finish with the Billington's dark muscovado sprinkled over the top.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, cool and refrigerate overnight.
- Turn out of the tin, peel off the paper then cut the edges from the brownie as these can become dry and over cooked.
- Cut into whatever-sized squares you wish. Serve at room temperature.
The Brownies will keep for 7 days in an airtight container.