The ultimate Scotch Egg
by Chef Foode - Thursday September 3, 2015 8:09 am
From the lovely people at HG Walter.
HG Walter butchers buy from small specialist producers and from farmers who raise free-range, organically-fed animals in the traditional way. HG Walter has been voted best small butcher shop in Great Britain, and best butcher in London and the Southeast.
5 x large free-range eggs
250g good quality sausage meat
1sp finely chopped, sweated onions
1 spring onion, finely chopped
Salt & pepper
50g plain flour, seasoned
100g good quality dried breadcrumbs
Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Place 4 eggs in a pan of cold water, bring to the boil and reduce the heat to a simmer. Then cook the eggs for 8-10 mins.
- While the eggs are cooking, mix the sausage meat with the sweated (gently cooked) onions, spring onions, salt and ground black pepper. Cover and refrigerate for about 30 mins.
- Drain the eggs and cool by placing in an iced bowl of water. Peel.
- Roll the eggs in the seasoned flour and wrap them in the sausage meat mix.
- Dip the scotch eggs in the beaten egg and then roll it in the breadcrumbs to coat, put on a plate covered in cling film and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to firm up and set..
- Heat the oil to 180˚C and cook for 8-12 minutes depending on the size. The breadcrumbs should be nice and crisp with a lovely dark golden colour.
- Remove from the oil and drain on kitchen paper and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt.