Chicken, broccoli and spelt salad by Davina Mc Call
by Chef Foode - Tuesday April 26, 2016 2:04 pm
I discovered spelt when we were working on my first cookbook and I love it. It’s a grain, with a great nutty flavour and good firm texture. You can cook it yourself, as below, or you can buy it ready cooked in sachets in the supermarket. Up to you. This salad has an anchovy dressing and I didn’t think I liked anchovies but I do like them in this – they add lots of flavour.
Davina will be at the BBC Good Food Show Summer in the City (ExCel London) as a part of the BBC Good Food Eat Well Show on Saturday 21st May and Sunday 22nd May.
olive oil spray
400g boneless, skinless chicken
thighs, trimmed of fat
100g uncooked spelt, well rinsed
or 300g ready-cooked spelt
250g sprouting broccoli, trimmed
100g mixed salad leaves, well
200g cherry tomatoes, halved
1 small can of anchovies in olive
oil (30g drained weight)
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp chilli flakes (optional)
286 calories per serving
1. Heat a griddle pan until it’s very hot, and spray it with olive oil spray. Add the chicken thighs and grill them for 5–7 minutes on each side until they’re cooked through and golden brown. Remove the thighs from the pan and set them aside to cool, then slice them thickly.
2. If you’re not using ready-cooked spelt, put the spelt in a saucepan, add plenty of water to cover and season it with a good pinch of salt. Bring the water to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer the spelt for 15 minutes or according to the packet instructions until the grains have softened but still have a slight bite to them. Drain and allow the spelt to cool.
3. Cook the sprouting broccoli in boiling water for 3–4 minutes until just tender.
4. To make the dressing, finely chop the anchovies and put them in a small saucepan. Add the garlic, lemon juice and olive oil and whisk together over a low heat until the dressing thickens and emulsifies. Add the chilli flakes, if using.
5. To serve, arrange the mixed leaves on a large platter. Sprinkle over the spelt and drizzle with some of the dressing. Top with the sprouting broccoli, cherry tomatoes and chicken and add the rest of the dressing.
More by this writer
- Spice & Wine: An Indian Cookalong | 67 Pall Mall x Mallika Basu
- New luxury hamper collection from Somerset-based Sharpham Park,
- New Zia Lucia Celebrates New Site With The Launch Of Birra Cabriolè
- Homestead, All-day Dining Concept From Sven-hanson Britt And Unlocked To Launch As London City Island’s New Restaurant
- The Ginger Pig & SHUK Weekend Brisket Pita Box