Fink’s Salt and Sweet’s Seared Tuna Tataki with Ponzu Dressing and a Mustard Crisp Hat
by Chef Foode - Wednesday July 13, 2016 3:07 pm
Serves: 2 | Preparation time: 65 minutes (45 minutes chilling time) | Cooking time: 5 minutes
250g piece of sashimi-grade tuna loin (about 10cm long, 4cm square), lightly oiled
White sesame seeds
1 tbsp peanut oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
½ tbsp dashi stock
½ tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp mirin
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp ginger, grated
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp white sesame seeds
½ tsp Maille Dijon Originale mustard
Mustard crisp (makes 8)
2 tbsp Maille Dijon Originale mustard
1 tbsp horseradish, grated
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1½ tbsp panko breadcrumbs
½ tsp corn flour
Beetroot, ribboned and finely sliced
Tuna and dressing
- Lightly salt the oiled tuna, and roll it in the sesame seeds, pressing gently to form a crust.
- Heat the peanut oil in a large frying pan over a high heat.
- Add the tuna and cook on each side until lightly seared. It should cook for no more than 15-20 seconds on each side.
- Leave to cool, wrap in cling film and refrigerate until firm (45-50 minutes).
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients together. Season to taste. If you like it lighter, add a squeeze of lime.
- Pre-heat oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4.
- Mix all ingredients to form a loose paste.
- Sandwich a teaspoon of the mustard mixture between an oiled cast iron tray and a piece of oiled silicone paper. Place another cast iron tray on top of the silicone paper to flatten.
- Bake for 6 minutes.
- When taking the crisps out of oven, carefully scrape them with a flat spatula to loosen from the pan, and leave to cool and crisp on a piece of kitchen paper.
Ribbon the cucumber, daikon and beetroot. At the restaurant, we slice these strips into super fine threads, but if
More by this writer
- Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London reopening with ‘Summer in the Sky’ offers
- 100 Wardour St Reopens
- Be-stro, a modern French Bistro, brings classic French cuisine with an international twist to King’s Road, Chelsea
- Sea Containers Restaurant re-opens with champagne summer terrace and delivery service
- Chef John Burton Race launches Kickstarter campaign to publish inspiring new book.