Buttermilk Chicken Recipe from Bacofoil
by Chef Foode - Thursday August 2, 2018 5:08 pm
This easy and delicious Buttermilk Chicken recipe is the perfect summer meal.
Marinating overnight in buttermilk using a Bacofoil® All Purpose Zipper® Bag makes the chicken tender and delicious, and the secure zip closure ensures the liquid is locked in and ingredients stay fresh.
There’s very little oil used, making it a much healthier version of fried chicken, especially when cooked in the oven on Bacofoil® The Non-Stick Kitchen Foil which requires no oil or butter to stop it from sticking.
We recommend serving as a burger, piled with avocado and salad with a kale-slaw on the side.
Preparation Time: Approx. 10 minutes plus marinating
Cooking Time: Approx. 40 minutes
- Bacofoil® All Purpose Zipper® Bags
- Bacofoil® The Non-Stick Kitchen Foil
- 2 large skinless and boneless chicken breast fillets
- 150ml buttermilk
- 8 tbsp fine natural or panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- pinch chilli powder (optional)
- To serve:
- 4 crusty bread rolls
- salad leaves
- 1-2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- ½ lemon, zest and juice
- black pepper
- Cut the chicken fillets in half horizontally to make 4 flat pieces. Add the buttermilk to a medium Bacofoil® All Purpose Zipper® Bag and place the chicken into the bag. Zip to seal and mix well to ensure all the chicken is coated. Place the in the fridge upright, made easy with the unique stand alone base, to marinate for several hours or overnight
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 170ºC fan/190ºC/Gas 5. Place all the dry ingredients into another clean Bacofoil® All Purpose Zipper® Bag, zip to seal and then shake well to mix
- Transfer the chicken pieces to the bag containing the crumbs, zip to seal and toss, ensuring all the pieces are well coated
- Place the chicken onto a baking tray lined with Bacofoil® The Non-Stick Kitchen Foil (this will ensure the chicken won’t stick). Cook in the oven for 25-30 minutes, ensuring that the chicken is cooked through at the thickest part
- Split and lightly toast the bread rolls. Slice the avocado and squeeze over a little lemon juice. Mix the mayonnaise with the lemon zest and black pepper and spread a little onto the base of each bun. Add some salad leaves, tomato, a piece of buttemilk chicken, then top with the avocado and the bun lid. Serve with some coleslaw or kale-slaw on the side
You can marinate and coat the chicken then freeze in Bacofoil® All Purpose Zipper bags for a month. Defrost before cooking.