With National Burger Day fast approaching on 23rd August,French’s and Frank’s are helping to jazz up your burgers with these sweet and spicy recipes.
Frank’s Fried buffalo buttermilk chicken burger
Prep time: 20 minutes plus marinating
Cook time: 6-5 minutes
4 burger buns, toasted
for the chicken;
4 x 150g chicken breasts
2 tbsp Franks Red Hot buffalo
60g flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
oil for deep fat frying
for the smacked cucumbers;
1 tsp salt
2 tsp Franks Red Hot
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp soy sauce
for the sauce;
150ml soured cream
75g blue cheese e.g. stilton, crumbled
- For the chicken; halve each breast lengthways and make small slashes in the chicken, place in a bowl with the Franks Red Hot buffalo and mix well. Set aside for 20 minutes to marinate.
- For the cucumbers; trim the ends then use a rolling pin to smack the cucumber so that it cracks and breaks. Cut into 5cm pieces and place in a colander, sprinkle over the salt and set aside for 10 minutes to drain. Combine the remaining sauce ingredients and stir in the cucumber.
- Place the buttermilk and flour in separate bowls. Heat the oil in the fryer to 180C. Dip the chicken pieces into the buttermilk and then the flour ensuring an even coating. Set aside for 5 minutes to allow a crust to form. Fry in batches for 2-3 minutes until crispy and golden. Drain on kitchen paper.
- For the sauce; combine the soured cream and cheese and season with some black pepper.
- To assemble the burgers, spoon some sauce onto the bases, add some shredded lettuce, top with a couple of pieces of chicken, more blue cheese sauce, and drizzle with plenty of Franks red hot. Serve the smacked cucumbers alongside.2 tbsp Franks Red Hot
French’s Classic Burger
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
2 tsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1 red onion, diced
500g minced steak
1 tbsp. French’s® Classic Yellow Mustard plus extra to serve
2 tsp. fresh rosemary, finely chopped
for the topping;
2 tbsp. French’s® Classic Yellow Mustard
60g cheese grated
4 burger baps, split and toasted
mayo, lettuce, tomato, red onion rings, sliced gherkins to serve
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onion and cook for 5-6 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Transfer to a bowl and cool slightly. Add the mince, French’s® Classic Yellow Mustard and rosemary along with some salt and pepper and using your hands mix well. Divide the mixture into 4 and shape into burgers, or use a burger press if you prefer.
- For the topping, combine the cheese with the French’s® Classic Yellow Mustard. Reheat the pan and fry the burgers over a high heat for 3 minutes, turn, top the cooked side with cheese and cook for another 2-3 minutes – or place under a hot grill.
- Lay out the buns, spread the tops and bottoms with some mayo and extra French’s® Classic Yellow Mustard, top the bases with lettuce followed by a burger each, tomato, onion rings and gherkins. Use a skewer to secure the lid and serve!
French’s® BBQ Pulled Pork Sloppy Style
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 3 hours
1.2kg pork shoulder
1 tbsp. olive oil
4 tbsp. French's® Kansas City Classic BBQ Sauce
For the gravy
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tsp. gravy granules
3 tbsp. French's® Kansas City Classic BBQ Sauce
For the slaw;
half a small red cabbage, shredded
1 small carrot, shredded or grated
2 spring onions, sliced
1 tsp. black onion seeds
2 tsp French’s® Classic Yellow Mustard
1 tbsp. crème fraiche
lettuce to serve
4 crusty baps
gherkins and chilli slices to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas mark 6. Place the pork in a roasting tin, rub in the olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast for 30 minutes then reduce the oven to fan 140C, brush the French's® Kansas City Classic BBQ Sauce all over and cook for another 2 ½ hours. Cover with foil and leave to rest for 30 minutes, then pull apart using 2 forks. Stir in the French's® Kansas City Classic BBQ Sauce.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion for 10 minutes until softened. Add the gravy granules and 150ml boiling water and stir over a low heat until thick. Remove from the heat and stir in the French's® Kansas City Classic BBQ Sauce, keep warm.
- To make the slaw combine the cabbage, carrot, spring onions and seeds in a large bowl. Mix together the French’s® Classic Yellow Mustard and crème fraiche and stir into the cabbage.
- Split the baps, top with the lettuce, some pork, slaw, gherkins and chilli and serve the hot gravy alongside.