Easter Simnel Cake Recipe
by Chef Foode - Thursday April 9, 2020 3:04 pm
Easter Simnel Cake made simple with the Microplane® Premium Classic Zester
Whether you’re baking for friends and family or just for fun, this is a splendid, traditional recipe packed with dried fruits, aromatic spices and sweet, nutty marzipan. The long Easter weekend simply wouldn’t be the same without it. In fact, the flavour of this cakes improves every day!
350g mixed sultanas, raisins and currants
100g glazed cherries, roughly chopped
250g butter, softened
250g icing sugar
4 medium free range eggs
3 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp baking powder
Zest of two lemons (use the Microplane® Premium Classic Zester)
Zest of two oranges (use the Microplane® Premium Classic Zester)
6 tbsp Drambuie or orange juice
5 tbsp apricot jam
1. Preheat the oven to 140°C / 284°F / gas mark 1, line a 20cm spring form pan with baking paper and grease the sides
2. Roll out the marzipan into two discs, around 5mm thick and 20cm diameter
3. Soak the sultanas, raisins, currants and cherries in the Drambuie or orange juice
4. Stir the butter and icing sugar together until smooth then add the beaten eggs
5. In a separate bowl mix the flour, spice, baking powder, lemon and orange zest together then add the butter, icing sugar and egg mixture
6. Add the soaked fruits
7. Place half the mixture into the spring form pan and cover with one of the marzipan discs, spread the second half of the mixture on top
8. Bake on a middle shelf for approx. 2 hours. If necessary, place baking paper on top of the cake so that the top doesn’t burn
9. Take the cake out of the oven and allow to cool before removing from the
10. Heat the apricot jam with a little water and cover the entire cake using a pastry brush
11. Lay the second disc of marzipan on top of the cake. Make 11 marzipan balls and position equidistantly round the cake to symbolise the 11 Apostles - the 12th is missing as he betrayed Jesus!
12. Heat the grill to high. Place the cake on a baking tray and grill for a couple of minutes or until the top of the marzipan begins to brown.
The iconic long, narrow, rasp-style design of the Premium Classic Zester, includes Microplane’s long-lasting, photo-etched stainless-steel blades, or teeth, which behave like extremely sharp knives to cut ingredients with precision rather than tearing or shredding.
The ultra-sharp blade ensures food does not stick or block, but instead effortlessly slides along the cutting surface to produce perfect results every time whilst releasing natural aromas to enhance flavour.
The Premium Classic Zester is perfect for all citrus fruits, parmesan and other hard cheese, chocolate, ginger, garlic, spices and much more.
The Microplane® Premium Classic Zester, RRP £19.95, is available from hartsofstur.com and independent cookshops nationwide