Carr’s Flour have three recipes to aid your pledge to eat more veg during National Vegetarian Week from the 11-17th May.
Perfect for contributing to your 5 a day and utilising those weekly veggie box deliveries.
Enjoyed hot or cold is the Feta and Spinach Quiche.Or have a go at the Savoury Muffins, a conveniently versatile recipe that allows you to make the most of the veg you have at home.
Or try the Hearty Vegetable Crumble, a comforting meal packed full of veg Ã¢â‚¬â€œ delicious all year round.
These three tasty recipes are all made using Carr’s Flour, known in baking circles as the flour that’s tried and trusted by Britain’s best artisan and trade bakers right through to home cooks.
Feta and Spinach Quiche
150g Baby Spinach
100g Carr’s Wholemeal Flour
50g Unsalted Butter
150g Feta Cheese or Yorkshire Fettle or Crumbly Lancashire
Salt, Pepper and Nutmeg to season
100g Pine nuts for the top
1. Rub the butter into the Ã¯Â¬â€šour until it feels and looks like breadcrumbs. Add enough water to bring the mixture together to form a ball. Wrap in cling Ã¯Â¬Âlm and rest for 15mins.
2. Roll out pastry on a Ã¯Â¬â€šoured surface and line a 20cm Ã¯Â¬â€šuted tin, pressing carefully, cut away excess pastry. Put into the fridge to chill.
3. Steam the spinach until just wilted. Leave to cool and dry slightly.
4. Whisk the eggs together and season with salt, (not too much, the Feta will add some saltiness), pepper and nutmeg. Cut the Feta into chunks and add to the mix.
5. Add the cooked spinach and stir, then spoon into the pastry case. Add the pine nuts.
6. Bake on the middle shelf in a pre heated oven 180 Ã‹Å¡C (Fan 160Ã‹Å¡C, Gas Mark 4) for 35 minutes or until set.
1 QUICHE 25 MINS PREP BAKE 35 MINS
150g Carr’s Wholemeal Flour
100g Carr’s Plain Flour
1½ tbsp Baking Powder
4 tsp Pesto
80g Parmesan (grated)
100g Courgette (finely grated)
A good handful Pine Nuts
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200Ã‹Å¡C (Fan 180ºC, Gas Mark 6). You will need a 12 hole muffin tin and 12 paper cases.
2. Sift the flours together into a large bowl with the baking powder. In a jug, beat the eggs and milk and fold into the flour mix.
3. Stir in the pesto, parmesan, courgette and pine nuts. Stir into the mixture, but be careful not to over mix.
4. Divide the mixture equally into the muffin cases and place in the oven. Bake for approximately 20 mins. To test if ready, push a cocktail stick or cake tester into the centre of a muffin. If it comes out clean without any mixture on, they are ready. If not, place back into the oven for another 5 minutes.
Enjoy warm, keep in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze them and use when needed.
12 MUFFIN 20 MINS PREP BAKE 20 MINS
Hearty Vegetable Crumble
FOR THE FILLING
Approx 600g mixed vegetablesÃ¢â‚¬Â¦
1 Onion (chopped)
200g Chestnut Mushrooms (quartered)
1 Butternut Squash (chopped into small chunks)
FOR THE SAUCE
1 Garlic Clove (crushed)
50g Carr’s Plain Flour
2 tsp Sage
FOR THE CRUMBLE
200g Carr’s Wholemeal or Plain Flour
100g Butter (chopped into pieces)
50g Grated Cheese
30g Porridge Oats
Handful of Sunflower Seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 200Ã‹Å¡C (Fan 400Ã‹Å¡C, Gas Mark 6).
2. First make the crumble by putting the flour into a large bowl and adding the butter. Using your fingers’rub’ together the ingredients until it looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the oats, cheese and sunflower seeds. Leave to one side.
3. In a large pan fry the onion until soft in a little butter, then add all other vegetables and the sage. Cook on a low heat for 10 minutes.
4. In a small pan, heat the butter until melted and then add the crushed garlic. Add the flour and keep stirring for a minute, making sure it doesn’t burn. Slowly add the milk a little at a time, while constantly stirring. The sauce will thicken.
5. Add the sauce to the vegetables then cook for a further 15mins on a low heat.
6. Place in an oven proof dish and then evenly sprinkle the crumble on top. Cook for 30 minutes or until the crumble is golden brown.
7. This recipe is very versatile so you can try different vegetables depending on the season.
4-5 PEOPLE 30 MINS PREP 40 MINS COOK