The summer season has already seen plenty of exciting sporting action take place but it’s not over yet. The global sporting event everyone has been waiting for is now upon us and with plenty of opportunities to cheer on Team GB, you’ll need the tastiest dishes to keep your fellow sports fans happy.
Newman’s Own has the perfect range of recipes taking inspiration from cuisines around the world and you can be sure that whoever is winning, the food will be just as memorable as the on-screen action. Easy to make and great for sharing, these recipes are sure to see you take home the gold medal.
All the post-tax profits from Newman’s Own products go to the Newman’s Own Foundation, with over £1 million already being donated to a wide range of charities in the UK alone and over £355 million donated worldwide.
This lightly spiced Cajun rice dish, originated in Louisiana in the USA. It is easy to cook as it is cooked all in one pan.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: about 30 minutes
- 1 teaspoon sunflower oil
- 100 g chorizo sausage, skin removed and thinly sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 225 g easy cook long grain rice
- 600 ml hot chicken stock
- 250 g bottle Newman’s Own Spicy Cajun Sauce
- 1 red and green pepper, deseeded and cubed
- 50 g frozen peas
- 150 g cooked peeled prawns
- 6 spring onions, chopped
1.Heat the oil in a large sautÃƒÂ© pan or saucepan, with a lid. Add the chorizo and onion cook for 2-3 minutes, until the paprika oil is released.
2. Add the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes until lightly browned on all sides. Stir in the rice to coat in the paprika oil.
3. Add 450 ml of stock and the Cajun sauce. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the peppers, peas and spring onions, (reserving a few onions for garnish) and remaining stock. Stir well then cover and cook, for a further 8-10 minutes or until the rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Stir in the prawns and heat through, then serve garnished with the remaining spring onions.
Serves: 4 as a starter
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: about 1 hour
- 300 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 tablespoons Newman’s Own Italian Dressing, plus extra to drizzle
- A little sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 x 2.5 cm slices Italian style bread e.g. Ciabatta
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 ball buffalo mozzarella, torn into pieces
- Basil leaves, to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C, Gas Mark 2. Place the tomatoes, cut side up on a large baking tray.
2. Drizzle the top of each with the dressing, sprinkle over a little sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, then cook in the oven for about 45 minutes or until the tomatoes have shrivelled. Allow to cool slightly.
3. Toast the bread, on both sides, preferably in a griddle pan, to create dark lines or under a preheated grill. Rub the surface with the clove of garlic.
4. Arrange the bread on a platter, then top with some mozzarella and the tomatoes, drizzle with extra dressing and garnish with basil leaves. Serve immediately.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: about 10 minutes
- Little olive oil, for brushing
- 100g baby spinach
- 1 large tortilla wrap
- 3 tablespoons Newman’s Own Ranch Dressing, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 tomato, diced
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 slices Parma ham, halved
- 1 egg, cracked
- Freshly ground black pepper
1.Preheat the oven to 180°C, Gas Mark 4. Lightly brush a non- stick baking sheet, with the oil.
2.Blanch the spinach by putting it in a colander and pouring boiling water over it, allow to cool slightly, then squeeze out the excess water.
3.Put the tortilla on the baking sheet, spread with the Ranch dressing, and then add the spinach and tomatoes. Sprinkle over 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan and arrange the Parma ham over the top.
4.Cook in the oven for 3 minutes, then remove and add the egg to the centre of the pizza. Return to the oven and cook for 6 minutes, until the egg is just set. Remove, sprinkle over the remaining Parmesan and some freshly ground black pepper and serve immediately with extra dressing drizzled over the top.
- Newman’s Own Spicy Cajun Sauce is available from Tesco, RRP £1.99
- Newman’s Own Italian Dressing is available from Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury’s Morrison’s and Waitrose, RRP £1.49
- Newman’s Own Ranch Dressing is available from Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury’s, Morrison’s and Waitrose, RRP £1.49