The Sunday Roast is rivalling baking as a way to show of your talents and make your tasters smile. This lamb shoulder created by award-winning butchers Provenance with Knorr is rich, flavoursome and combines a number of great complimentary flavours.
Rosemary and lemon are classic friends of lamb, but the addition of cumin and anchovies give the recipe subtle new flavours. Anchovies may seem like a strange addition but will create a salty umami flavour that works well with the richness of the lamb shoulder Ã¢â‚¬â€œ a sure way to create an unusual and stunning centrepiece on a Sunday.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 20 minutes
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
3 sprigs of rosemary, stalks removed and leaves finely chopped
4 anchovy fillets, finely chopped to a paste
2 x Knorr Lamb Stock Cubes, crumbled into a powder
1 lemon, zest and juice
3 tbsp of olive oil
A pinch of ground cumin
1 x 1.5kg bone in lamb shoulder with the outside scored
- Combine all ingredients minus the lamb shoulder in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly to create a paste and add more olive oil if the mixture is too thick. There’s no need to add salt, as the anchovies provide a salty flavour.
- Rub the thick paste all over the lamb shoulder and if you have time, leave in the fridge for a few hours or overnight to marinate.
- Preheat oven to 180°C or Gas Mark 4. Remove the shoulder from the fridge and transfer onto a deep roasting tray. Pour any excess marinade back onto the shoulder.
- Place in the oven and roast for approximately 2 hours.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 20 minutes before carving. Serve with showstopping sides!