According to Veganuary, over 1 million people have signed up to take part in the 2021 campaign; however, in previous years one in ten have buckled before getting to the end of the month.
To help inspire Brits and keep them on track, plant-based recipe developers and influencers, So Vegan (360k followers) have teamed up with Elmlea Plant to create plant based versions of some of the dishes people miss the most when taking part in Veganuary.
The indulgent recipes include this vegan butter chicken made with delicious Elmlea Plant cream.
PreparatIon: 3 5min
Ready In: 1hr 3 5min
2 tbsp vegan butter (such as Flora Plant)
6 garlic cloves
1 thumb of ginger
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground coriander
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
2 tsp granulated sugar
1/4 tsp chilli powder
170ml Elmlea Plant Single
For the sauce:
1. To prepare the marinade, add the Elmlea Plant Single, paprika, cumin, garam
masala, a big pinch of salt and the juice from the lemon to a large mixing bowl and
stir to combine. Then tear the oyster mushrooms into 3-4cm pieces and add them to
the bowl. Stir until the mushrooms are totally coated in the marinade and leave to sit
in the fridge for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 200°C / 392°F.
3. Next pierce the mushrooms onto 4 skewers then add them to a baking tray, resting
the ends of the skewers over the sides of the tray. Roast for 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile start preparing the sauce. Peel and dice the onion. Then add the vegan
butter to a frying pan over a medium heat. Throw in the onion and fry for 6 minutes.
Meanwhile peel and dice the garlic and ginger. Then add them to the pan and fry for
5. Next add the cumin, garam masala, turmeric and ground coriander and fry for 3
6. Then add the tinned tomatoes, sugar and chilli powder to the pan along with a big
pinch of salt. Bring the sauce to a gentle simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes or until
the sauce has thickened.
7. Cook the rice as per the packet instructions.
8. Transfer the sauce to a blender (this is optional), blend until smooth, then pour the
sauce back into the pan and stir in the remaining Elmlea Plant Single.
9. Remove the mushrooms from the skewers and add them straight to the pan along
with any juices that have gathered in the baking tray. Heat through for 1-2 minutes.
10. Stir to combine then serve alongside some rice and chopped fresh coriander.