If ever there was a time to really push the boat out and enjoy fine food at its best, Christmas is it. This year, truly satisfy the foodie connoisseur in you with family run Filippo Berio’s new Unfiltered Extra Virgin Olive Oil – the crème de la crème of oils. Rich in texture, it has a fresh grass, fruity olive flavour with a slightly sweet piquant finish and is perfect for enhancing the taste of your festive dishes to give them a superior flavour. Renowned for creating the finest quality olive oils since 1867, Filippo Berio’s new Unfiltered Extra Virgin Olive Oil is the ultimate food lover’s cooking accessory this Christmas.
Filippo Berio’s Unfiltered Extra Virgin Olive Oil, unlike its signature range, undergoes no filtration process. As a result, the olive oil contains tiny particles of fruit, which gives it an attractive light green, slightly cloudy appearance. Filippo Berio’s resident chef, Danilo Trozzi has put together some top tips for incorporating the oil into your festive entertaining menu.
1. To kick-start the festive dining extravaganza, serve Unfiltered Extra Virgin Olive Oil as a dip for warm, fresh bread – the perfect choice for soaking up the rich character and flavour of the oil.
2. Drizzle a little Unfiltered Extra Virgin Olive Oil into a bowl of soup before serving for extra flavour and to give the soup a more velvet texture. For croutons with a twist, cube some 2 day-old bread, drizzle with the Unfiltered Extra Virgin Olive Oil, then toast in the oven and sprinkle into the soup.
3. For a simple, yet tasty side dish to your Christmas turkey, peel a few winter vegetables such as parsnips, celeriac and butternut squash, chop into pieces, dress with Unfiltered Extra Virgin Olive Oil, crushed garlic and some fresh rosemary. Roast in the oven until soft, at 200°C for 30-40 minutes and serve.
4. Finely chop one or two chillies and mix together with the Unfiltered Extra Virgin Olive Oil and drizzle over Christmas meats and hams for a spicy marinade with a kick.
5. Infuse a selection of herbs and spices with the Unfiltered Extra Virgin Olive Oil and brush the oil directly onto your Christmas turkey to help moisten and add flavour to the meat.
6. As an alternative to the standard vegetable side dish, boil some potatoes and leave to cool slightly, before crushing them with a fork. Add some freshly chopped garlic, freshly chopped spring onions, black pepper, salt and a good splash of Unfiltered Extra Virgin Olive Oil to the potatoes. Serve warm. Filippo Berio Unfiltered Extra Virgin Olive Oil (1L) is available in Sainsbury’s and Waitrose (priced £6.99 RRP). To view the entire Filippo Berio Olive Oil range, recipe ideas and cookery hints and tips go to the official website www.filippoberio.co.uk
Win a free bottle of Filippp Berio
Those lovely Italians have given us a load of bottles to ship your way. To be in with a chance to oil up your Xmas enter our simple competition by clicking here.