Celebrate the traditional Chinese Mid-Autumn festival this year and mark the passage into the winter solstice with a traditional duck dish, created by Michelin star chef Glynn Purnell.
Duck is a delicious traditional food to enjoy, especially around the time of the Mid-Autumn festival, and can be served in many different dishes. Glynn has created his own special twist on the Oriental classic Ã¢â‚¬â€œ duck spring rolls.
With four stores across the UK, in Birmingham, Manchester, Cricklewood and Croydon, the UK’s leading Oriental grocer, Wing Yip, brings traditional Oriental cuisine one step closer to UK homes. From fresh produce to delicious sauces and interesting spices.
DUCK SPRING ROLLS
100g shredded carrot
100g shredded savoy cabbage
50g shredded spring onions
2 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp Wing Yip Hoisin Sauce
25g sesame seeds
1 tbsp five spice
2 tsp chopped coriander
1 tbsp red pepper mix
150g confit duck leg Ã¢â‚¬â€œ shredded (can also use cooked chicken leg or beef)
10 sheets spring roll pastry
1 egg white
1 tsp cornflour
1. Place the carrots, cabbage and spring onion into a pan with coconut oil
2. Sweat over a low heat
3. When slightly broken down add the hoisin sauce, sesame seeds, five spice, coriander, beansprouts, pepper mix and shredded duck leg. Stir and heat through.
4. Lay out one sheet of pastry. Combine the egg white and cornflour with a little water to create a paste. Brush the pastry sheet with the paste
5. Starting at one edge spoon a strip of duck mixture into the centre Ã¢â‚¬â€œ do not reach the edge of the pastry
6. Fold in both sides covering the edges of the mixture and then roll the pastry away from you keeping the mixture tightly wrapped. Repeat with another pastry sheet, until all the mixture has been used
7. Fry at 180°C until golden (can also be frozen to be used at a later date)
Wing Yip has four superstores located in Birmingham, Cricklewood, Croydon and Manchester which stock more than 4,500 authentic Oriental groceries and products. Its online store www.wingyipstore.co.uk is home to a library of Far Eastern recipes.