Applewood® Vegetarian Bean Burger
175g drained cannellini beans, rinsed
175g drained pinto beans, rinsed
1 large onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
3 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 large garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
A good pinch of chipotle chilli flakes
A handful of fresh parsley and coriander, finely chopped
Grated zest of ½ lime
1 egg, beaten
40g breadcrumbs (1 thick slice)
4 Applewood® slices
- Heat 1 tbsp. oil and sautÃƒÂ© the onion and garlic until softened and slightly coloured, then add the chilli flakes and fry for a further minute.
- Using a potato masher, squash the beans until they are roughly crushed in a large bowl.
- Add the onion mixture and fresh herbs, season well to taste.
- Finish by adding the egg and breadcrumbs and mixing thoroughly.
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions, and with wet hands shape into patties.
- Fry over a medium heat in the remaining oil for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Assemble by placing your bean burger on the bottom bun, add the cheese slice and grill until bubbling, top with the bun, and serve.