Any food lover will know that the early summer months don’t just bring warmer weather and longer evenings. It’s also the start of the much anticipated summer food season, when we can finally indulge in seasonal delights such as fresh asparagus and Jersey Royal potatoes.
As these vegetables are only in season for a very short amount of time, it’s important to make the most of their unbeatable flavour and freshness. What better way to capture this than with Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil. The oil is ideal for making a gorgeous dressing that can be drizzled over delicious new season vegetables, either in a salad or straight from the oven, warm. The full natural flavour is guaranteed to enhance the taste and flavour of food and makes a healthy alternative to butter.
Filippo Berio has devised some tempting recipes to ensure there’s no excuse not to enjoy the best of Britain’s new season vegetables.
New potato salad
Far superior to any mayonnaise-swamped potato salad, this wonderful, easy to serve salad brings out all the flavours of the potatoes
Just drizzle Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil over the potatoes and garnish generously with parsley.
Preparation time: 10 – 15 minutes
Cooking time: 32 minutes
8 firm, ripe tomatoes, halved
4 tbsp. Filippo Berio Olive Oil
1 -2 tbsp. fresh basil, finely shredded
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
225g/8oz fresh baby asparagus
For the dressing:
3 tbsp. Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 tbsp. white wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
Pinch of sugar, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/ Gas 4.
2. Put the tomatoes in a roasting pan and drizzle over the olive oil. Sprinkle over the basil and season well.
3. Cook for about 30 minutes or until just soft.
4. Meanwhile, blanch the asparagus for 1 €“ 2 minutes then refresh in cold water and drain well.
5. Mix the dressing in a screw top jar and shake well. Arrange the tomatoes and asparagus onto 4 serving plates and pour over the dressing.
Cook’s Tip: Just before serving, sprinkle over a few rashers of chopped, grilled bacon
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
75g (3oz) thin green beans, trimmed
350g (12oz) small Jersey Royal potatoes
175g (6oz) cherry tomatoes
1 very small red onion, finely sliced
Small handful basil leaves
For the dressing:
4 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 tsp red wine vinegar
½ tsp Dijon mustard
salt and pepper
1. Plunge the beans into a pan of boiling water, boil for 4 minutes until crisp and tender. Drain and transfer to a bowl of cold water to cool.
2. Cook the potatoes in lightly salted water for 12 minutes or until tender. While the potatoes are cooking, put the ingredients for the dressing in a medium bowl and whisk together.
3. Drain the potatoes and rinse under cold water, then if preferred remove the skins and slice thickly, add to the dressing while still warm and toss together. Allow to cool.
4. Cut the tomatoes into quarters and add to cooled potatoes. Drain the beans and cut into 2.5cm (1€) lengths and add to the salad with the red onion and shredded basil leaves. Mix together then serve.
Cook’s Tip: This salad would also make a delicious accompaniment to grilled chicken. Or to make it more substantial for a light meal add some strips of salami, or some crisply fried cubes of bacon or pancetta.