Get Valentine’s Day off to an indulgent start with GÃƒÂ¼‘s decadent brekkie.
Makes about 10
- 225g plain flour
- 25g cocoa butter
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 50g caster sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 250ml whole milk
- 125ml vegetable oil, plus a little extra for cooking
- 3 egg whites
- 200g dark chocolate, melted, to serve
- Electric hand mixer
- Waffle iron
- To make the batter for the waffles, sift the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder into a mixing bowl.
- Stir in the sugar and salt.
- Mix the egg yolks with the milk in a separate bowl, then add the oil and 125ml of water.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour and pour in the liquid, whisking all the time, until you have a smooth batter.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites with an electric hand mixer until they form soft peaks.
- Use a metal spoon to fold in one third of the whisked egg white into the batter, then gently fold in the rest.
- Pre-heat the waffle iron.
- Add a tiny amount of oil to the iron and spoon in the batter.
- Close the lid and cook for 1-2 minutes or until just set.
- Lift out the cooked waffle and keep it warm in a low oven while you repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve the waffles drizzled or brushed with the melted chocolate.
Recipe from ‘The GÃƒÂ¼ Chocolate Cookbook‘, published by Collins, RRP £18.99.