Preparation time: 20 minutes, plus overnight marinating
Cooking time: 40 minutes, plus 15 minutes standing
1 leg of lamb, approx 1.8 kg/4lb, boned
3 large sweet onions
Filippo Berio Olive Oil
Sun-Dried Tomato and Balsamic Vinegar Marinade:
120ml/8 tbsp Filippo Berio Olive Oil
3 garlic cloves, crushed
4 tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
4 tsp dried oregano
5 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp salt
1. Open out the boned leg of lamb, discard excess fat, and cut through the centre slightly so the meat can be laid out in a long flat piece. Put into a large dish.
2. Mix the marinade, and pour over the lamb, turning it so it is covered all over. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
3. Bring the lamb to room temperature before cooking. Peel and thickly slice the onions, brush with oil on both sides.
4. Place the lamb on a medium hot barbecue, or griddle pan and cook for 20 minutes each side. Transfer the lamb to a carving board, cover with foil and stand for 15 minutes before carving.
5. Meanwhile, cook the onion slices on the barbecue/griddle pan and serve with the lamb.
Cook’s tip: Ask the butcher to bone the lamb or buy a joint that has been boned and rolled, then remove string and unroll.
For further recipes using Flilppo Berio olive oil go to www.filippoberio.co.uk/recipes