For the Chicory Marmalade Tart:
- 4 heads of chicory, core removed and finely sliced lengthways
- 2 banana shallots or 4 normal shallots, finely sliced
- 4 crushed juniper berries
- 50g butter
- 20ml olive oil
- 100ml white wine vinegar
- 75g caster sugar
- 200g good-quality puff pastry rolled out and cut into a large 12 inch round, allowed to rest for 30 minutes
Place the shallot, vinegar and juniper into a pan over a moderate heat and allow the vinegar to reduce until completely absorbed. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
Heat the olive oil and butter in a frying pan and add the chicory. Cook without colouring until the chicory starts to become translucent. When this is achieved add the shallot mix. Mix together and season with salt.
Finally, add the sugar and taste. Allow to cool. Place the chicory mix onto the tart squares and bake at 160C for approximately 10 minutes. When cooked remove from the oven and place onto a cooling rack.
For the cheese:
- 200g Crackler cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- plain flour for dusting
- Japanese breadcrumbs (or white breadcrumbs)
Cut the cheese into 1-2cm pieces, allow 5 each. Roll though the flour, egg and breadcrumbs.
Deep fry until golden just before plating the dish, drain on paper.
For the dressing:
(Makes about 300ml)
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and crushed to a paste
- 1tbsp English mustard
- sea salt and black pepper
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2tsp cider vinegar
- 150ml rapeseed oil
- 150ml walnut oil
Whisk together the first five ingredients. Slowly whisk in the oils forming an emulsion. Taste and season if required. Reserve for use.
For the garnish:
- 6 pickled walnuts, chopped
- winter salad leaves
- 2 firm pears, peeled and diced into small pieces
Place the tart into the centre of the plate. In a bowl, add the salad leaves, pear and pickled walnuts then mix with a touch of the dressing. Place the salad on the plate to the side of the tart and then scatter the fried cheese cubes around. Finish with a little more dressing.
For more on Davidstow Crackler, visit http://www.davidstowcheddar.co.uk