Chinese New Year will be celebrated internationally on 16th February 2018 and to kick off what has become a firmly established date on the culinary calendar, Wing Yip has teamed up with MasterChef champions Ping Coombes and Larkin Cen to create two authentic Chinese New Year recipes.
Larkin Cen, Chef and Director of Woky Ko, has developed a recipe for the much-loved Gua Bao and Ping has shared her family childhood recipe’Hup Toh Soh’. Both recipes will definitely add an authentic touch to Chinese New Year celebrations this year.
With over 4,500 Oriental products to choose from, Wing Yip has a range of products to suit all cooking needs Ã¢â‚¬â€œ from buying a first wok, to finding authentic hoi sin sauce for crispy duck pancakes.
Head to any local Wing Yip store, or shop online at www.wingyipstore.co.uk, to find all the ingredients required to create the perfect celebratory Chinese New Year banquet for friends and family.
Find Cen’s recipe Gua Bao Pork Belly Buns here.
Ping Coombes’ Chinese New Year Cookies’Hup Toh Soh’
600g flour, sifted
2 tsp baking powder
1/3 tsp bicarb
2 tsp salt
250g icing sugar
250g cashews, lightly roasted
375ml vegetable oil
2 egg yolks
- Preheat oven at 180 fan and roast the cashews for 10 mins. Cool and roughly chop.
- In a large mixing bowl, place all ingredients except for the egg yolks. Mix well. Dough will feel a little crumbly but it is normal and will come together when rolled out.
- Working in small batches, place on flat surface to form a dough and roll out about 1cm thick, cut out the cookies with your favourite cookie cutter.
- Place on a baking tray with spaces in between. Brush with a beaten egg yolk.
- Bake for 20 Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 25 minutes on 150 fan.