Fresh plums are starting to appear in the shops now and our home grown varieties will be ready soon. This impressive, yet simple recipe works well with almost any fresh fruit, but particularly well with plums, greengages or damsons. It can be made in a flat dish, in the standard Tiramisu style, or, for a more spectacular dessert, follow the alternative method. Either way, it tastes delicious and the Fruisana Fruit Sugar will ensure that the fruit flavours are maximized.
PLUM TIRAMISU CHARLOTTE
75g Fruisana Fruit Sugar
250ml double cream
80g Fruisana Fruit Sugar
500g mascarpone cheese
300ml coffee made from 4 tbsp instant coffee
4 tbsp Tia Maria
175g packet sponge fingers
To finish: Cocoa powder
1. Halve the plums and remove the stones, then cut into small pieces. Reserve a small amount to decorate the finished dessert.
2. Place in a saucepan with the Fruisana and gently cook until soft. Purée the plums to a smooth sauce.
3. Whip the double cream until stiff then beat in the Fruisana and mascarpone cheese and mix well.
4. Add the quarter of cream mixture in the glass dish. Push the sponge fingers into the mixture. Mix together the coffee and Tia Maria and brush each sponge finger with the mixture.
5. (Alternatively, for a Charlotte Russe style dessert, carefully place the sponge fingers around the edge of a glass bowl and proceed as follows
6. Using a pastry brush, liberally paint the inside on the sponge fingers with the coffee mixture.)
7. Add the rest of the cream mixture to the middle of the dish and then top with the plum sauce and the remaining pieces of chopped plum.
8. Place in the refrigerator until required.
9. To serve: Generously sieve cocoa powder over the top.