Sausage and tomato pizza
Get the kids involved with this tasty meal – a home-made version of a takeaway favourite, topped with sausages, cheese, and hidden vegetables.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 17 minutes
8 Richmond thin sausages
275g strong plain bread flour
Pinch salt (optional)
1 sachet easy blend dried yeast
3 tbsp olive oil
150-160ml warm water
OR 2 ready prepared large pizza bases
6 tbsp ready prepared pizza topping sauce
½ green pepper, deseeded and finely diced
50g sweetcorn niblets
100g cheddar cheese, grated
125 g mini mozzarella balls
- In a bowl mix together the flour, salt and yeast. Mix together the oil and water. Make a well in the centre of the flour and pour in the liquid. Bring the mixture together and knead on a lightly floured surface for 5 minutes. Roll the dough out to a 25 cm circle and line a pizza baking sheet. Set aside.
- Pre heat the oven to 220 C, 425 F, gas mark 7. Cook the sausages in a roasting tin in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and slice in half.
- Spread the pizza topping sauce over the pizza dough and then arrange the sausages on top. Top with the remaining ingredients and bake in the oven for 12 minutes.
TIP: For a really crisp base slide the cooked pizza off the pizza dish and cook directly on the oven rack for a further 5 minutes. If using a ready prepared base cook the pizza for the suggested pack instruction time.
Sausage rolls with sweet tomato relish
Makes 4 sausage rolls
4 thick Richmond sausages
Drizzle of oil
500g pack of puff pastry
1 egg, beaten
For the tomato relish:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
400g ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
30g soft brown sugar
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7.
- To make the tomato relish, heat the oil in a pan and sauté the onion for a few minutes to soften.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar and red wine vinegar; bring to the boil, reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 20-25 minutes until reduced and thickened. Allow to cool.
- To make the sausage rolls, grill or pan-fry the sausages in a little oil for approximately 8-10 minutes until browned all over. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Roll the puff pastry out on a clean, flat surface dusted with flour until it is 2-3 mm thick. Cut out 4 rectangles to be 8cm x 12cm (for the base) and 4 rectangles to be 10cm x 14cm (for the top).
- Place a sausage onto the centre of the smaller pastry rectangle (the base) and spoon a little relish over the top. Brush the edge of the pastry with the beaten egg and place the larger piece of pastry on top. Press the edges together, and use a fork or back of a spoon to crimp the edges together. Re-trim the pastry as necessary to create a neat finish and then lightly score the top of the rolls with a sharp knife to make 3-4 small slits for the steam to escape. Continue this process to make 4 sausage rolls. Chill in the fridge for up to half an hour.
- Brush the remaining egg wash over the sausage roll and transfer to a non-stick baking tray and bake for 15-20 minutes until the pastry is crisp, golden and risen.
- Remove from the oven and serve with the extra relish.
BBQ sausage and vegetable kebabs with a mustard and honey glaze
Makes 12 mini kebabs
Drizzle of oil
12 thin Richmond sausages
1 red onion, peeled and cut into small wedges
1 yellow pepper, de-seeded and cut into chunks
1 green pepper, de-seeded and cut into chunks
1 orange pepper, de-seeded and cut into chunks
12 cherry tomatoes
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
8 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
* You will need 12 x mini skewers
- Soak the skewers in water for a minimum of 30 minutes before using to prevent from burning.
- Pre-heat the BBQ or griddle pan until hot.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and cook the sausages for 10-12 minutes turning frequently until browned all over. Remove from the pan and cut in half.
- Thread a piece of sausage onto a skewer and alternate with the red onion wedges, pepper chunks and cherry tomatoes, using 2 sausage pieces per skewer. Continue this with all the skewers alternating the vegetables and sausages as you choose.
- Mix the honey, mustard and oil together in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper. Brush the marinade over the kebabs and then barbeque or grill for 8-10 minutes, turning halfway through cooking, until the vegetables are softened.
- Remove from the heat and serve at once.