Not everyone is on a diet yet and with that Winter chill still in the air for a while to come, here’s a different Winter Warmer to try out:
Serves: 4 Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 6Find more recipes on Porc Wales
- 1.35kg (3lb) pork shoulder joint
- 5ml (1tsp) allspice
- 30ml (2tbsp) black treacle
- 2.5cm (1″) root ginger, peeled and sliced
- 300ml (½pt) cloudy apple juice
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 15ml (1tbsp) soft brown sugar
- 5ml (1tsp) cinnamon
- 2 eating apples, cored and quartered
- Creamy mashed potato
- Curly kale
How to cook
- Pre-heat your oven to Gas 4-5, 180Ã‹Å¡C, 350Ã‹Å¡F.
- Line a large roasting pan with a double layer of foil.
- Now, cut strings on the joint of pork, flatten the meat and place into the roasting pan Ã¢â‚¬â€œ rind side up.
- Deeply score the pork with a sharp knife and rub in the allspice and generously sprinkle with salt.
- Next, mix together the treacle, ginger, apple juice, lemon juice, sugar and cinnamon and pour the mixture into the roasting pan.
- Add the apples and scrunch the foil loosely around the joint Ã¢â‚¬â€œ remember to leave the rind exposed.
- Cook for about 2-2½ hours or until meat is tender and soft Ã¢â‚¬â€œ as the joint cooks and begins to shrink re-scrunch the foil around the joint.
- Serve with creamy mashed potato and steamed curly kale.