Don’t pigeonhole maple syrup into the puddings category; it’s fantastic in savoury dishes, too. This is easy peasy and, if the sun is shining, would work as well on the barcecue as under the grill. Recipe kindly provided by Clarks Maple Syrup.
Ingredients for four people
500g lean boneless lamb (leg or shoulder are ideal) cut into 2.5 cm cubes
8 skewers or sticks of fresh rosemary
2 red onions, peeled and quartered
2 green peppers, deseeded and cut into 2.5 cm cubes
3 teaspoons coriander seeds, lightly toasted
2 teaspoons cumin seeds, lightly toasted
1 clove garlic, peeled
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 squirts of Clarks Maple Syrup plus a drizzle
- Grind the coriander seeds and cumin seeds in a pestle and mortar until fine.
- Add the garlic and bash until it becomes a paste.
- Add the oil and Clarks Maple Syrup and mix well.
- Place the lamb in a bowl and add the marinade. Give it a good mix and refrigerate for an hour.
- Spike the pieces of meat alternately with the red onion and pepper using the rosemary sticks or skewers.
- Barbecue or grill the kebabs for 5 to 7 minutes turning them regularly.
- Allow the kebabs to rest for a few minutes.
- Warm the flatbreads; drizzle the tzatziki with maple syrup, and serve.