For the Cake:
– Sunflower or vegetable oil, for greasing
– 175g dried chopped dates
– ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
– 300ml boiling water
– 175 wholemeal flour
– 1tsp baking powder
– 125 date nectar
– 50g butter, softened
– 2 eggs
– 2tsp Nielsen-Massey Vanilla Bean Paste
– 1 small ripe banana
For the Sauce:
– 4tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Grease and line the lid of the casserole dish with baking parchment.
- Put the dates into a heatproof bowl with the bicarb and water. Leave to stand for 10 minutes, and allow to cool slightly.
- Place the remaining cake ingredients in a food processor. Add the cooled dates and blend until smooth. Pour into the prepared lid and bake for 30 minutes, or until risen and cooked. Leave to cool.
- Melt the coconut oil and stir in the lucuma powder until well blended. Cut the cake into pieces and serve topped with the sauce, either cold as a cake or warm as a pudding.
Recipe taken from lakeland.co.uk.
Tickets on sale now: bbcgoodfoodshow.com