The Runnymede’s Executive Head Chef David Coutts has given us the ultimate Chilli Con Carne recipe to make at home.
Ready, steady, cook!
1 onion (finely chopped)
2 cloves garlic (crushed)
1 red chilli (finely chopped)
500g minced beef
1tsp ground cumin
2tsp dried oregano
2tsp sweet paprika
1 Bay leaf
3tbsp tomato paste
1 tin tinned tomatoes (chopped)
200mls beef stock
1 tin kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Sweat onion, garlic and chilli in olive oil until softened, add the dried spices and cook until they give off a nice aroma, then season.
2. In a separate pan, seal the minced beef in moderately hot oil to brown the meat.
3. Add the beef to the onion and spices and mix together.
4. Add the tomatoes and simmer for a few minutes.
5. Add the stock, bay leaf and tomato paste.
6. Bring to the boil and turn down to a gentle simmer for about 45 minutes.
7. Add kidney beans and continue to simmer for another 15 minutes until it has thickened slightly.
8. Season to taste.
9. Serve with steamed rice, a sprinkling of chopped parsley and a dollop of sour cream.
Ã¢â€”Â Chilli Con Carne tastes better the next day when the beans have soaked up the flavours.
Ã¢â€”Â Brown the meat in small batches so that it browns evenly, increasing the flavour.