Get inspired for World Vegan Month (1-30 November) with this deliciously warming, moreish spiced soup, beautifully garnished with crisp sweet potato chips and freshly grated coconut.
This recipe couldn’t be easier to make thanks to the new Microplane® Professional Peeler
Unlike traditional peelers, the Professional Peeler is slightly heavier and the blades can be moved back and forth, with little pressure, in one smooth, uninterrupted movement which makes light work of peeling the sweet potatoes.
To prepare the ginger and the coconut garnish, reach for the signature photo-etched, ultra-sharp blades, or teeth, of the Fine and Coarse graters from the Microplane® Master Series which effortlessly and precisely grate both without ripping or tearing.
Serves: 4 people
500g sweet potatoes
500ml vegetable stock
1 can of coconut milk (400ml)
¼ – 1tsp curry spice, to taste
Choose the smallest sweet potato to use for the chips
1 piece of coconut, approx. 5cm
1. Peel the onion and ginger and then finely chop the onion and grate the ginger using the Microplane® Master Series Fine Grater.
2. Fry both together in 1 tsp oil.
3. Peel the sweet potatoes (put the smallest aside to be used later for the chips) with the Microplane® Professional Peeler and then roughly chop.
4. Add the sweet potatoes to the onions and ginger and fry briefly.
5. Add the vegetable stock and cook softly for about 15-20 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, use the Peeler to create slices from the remaining small sweet potato.
7. In a separate pan, heat 1 tbsp of oil and brown the sweet potato slices, put on a piece of kitchen paper and lightly salt.
8. Puree the soft sweet potato soup in the food processor until smooth and then pour it back into the pot. Stir in the coconut milk and bring to the boil. Season with salt, pepper and cumin.
9. Add the curry spice to taste,
10. Serve the soup in a bowl, covered with the chips and grate fresh coconut on top using the Microplane® Master Series Coarse Grater.
The elegant and balanced design of the NEW Microplane® Professional Peeler (RRP £19.95) with integral potato eye remover, is not only ideal for easy peeling, but also for creating thin strips of fruits and vegetables for salads and decorations.
The ultra-sharp, curved stainless steel double blade swivels up to 30° to expertly contour soft and hard, long and round, fruits and vegetables.
Inspired by Microplane’s heritage and expertise in woodworking tools, the Master Series is a collection of elegantly designed hand-held graters crafted with a walnut handle and sturdy stainless steel frame, available in FIVE blade styles.
The long, narrow Master Zester (RRP £29.95) and FOUR paddle-shaped graters including Fine, Coarse, Ribbon and Extra Coarse blades (RRP £34.95).
Made in the USA, the signature Microplane® long-lasting, photo-etched stainless-steel blades, or teeth, behave like extremely sharp knives to cut ingredients with precision rather than tearing or shredding like most stamped graters.
The blades ensure that food does not stick or block, but instead effortlessly slides along the cutting surface to produce perfect results every time whilst releasing natural aromas to enhance flavour.
Microplane products are available from hartsofstur.com and independent cookshops nationwide.
www.microplaneintl.com | @microplaneintl