Have you put on a few too many extra pounds over the holiday season? Are you feeling the need to shape-up and detox after the turkey and trimmings and too much Christmas fudge? Tossed has generously shared their super-charged scientific methods for taking the weight off, cleaning up your system, and rebuilding your muscles. If you follow their plan, you should be back into your slim jeans in time for Valentine’s Day dinner.
Tossed scientific methods for joining the resolution revolution.
Get rid of that festive belly once and for all. Together we’ll make you svelte and sexy for 2009!
The Science Behind Slimming-Down:
The tried and tested way of losing weight is to burn off more calories than you consume. The recommended daily calorie intake for women is 2000 calories and 2500 for men. This will vary depending on your lifestyle, age and weight, among other things.
1. Eat smaller meals every 3 hours to increase your metabolism and stop food being stored as fat.
2. Eat breakfast. People who eat breakfast burn off more calories and are less likely to go for that mid-morning pig-out. Go for a low GI Tossed porridge.
3. Drink lots of water. Thirst is often mistaken for hunger. Try having a glass of water every time you feel hungry.
4. Cut out carbs in the evening. Your body stores the energy as fat as you sleep rather than burning it off.
5. Add chilli to your salad and drink Green tea to increase your metabolism.
6. Go for whole grains as they keep you full up for longer.
7. Load your plate up with veg at meal times and make fruit the snack of choice. 100g cooked pasta = 200 calories vs 100g of tomatoes = 18 calories.
8. Go for a lettuce base to save an average of 263 calories.
9. Have a Tossed smoothie with a natural fat burner supplement to enhance metabolism.
1. Exercise in the morning – It fuels your metabolism for the day.
2. Do weights – You actually burn more calories in the 24 hr period afterwards as your metabolism is increased
3. Cut back on alcohol – It is not only the calories, but also the fact that it slows down your body’s ability to burn fat.
4. Remember mixers have calories too, so if you must booze, go for diet mixers, tonic or soda water.
How Can Tossed Help Your Slim-Down Resolution?
We have lots of low calorie and low fat options in-store and all nutritional info is provided on the products. If you are creating your own salad, you can use the salad nutritional calculator online (http://www.tosseduk.com/nutrition_calculator.html)
Visit tosseduk.com to download your specially created 20 day slim-down meal plan.
Sign up to our slim-down tip of the day by emailing:
Your Resolution: To rebuild the temple that is your body after the excesses of the party season.
The Science Behind Detox: One of the many functions of your liver is to flush toxins out of the body. However, if your diet means you are putting large quantities of toxins into your body such as refined sugars, refined carbs and alcohol, your liver may become unable to keep up with the demands being placed on it. A detox program can to make us feel more alert by getting rid of those chemicals which slow us down.
1. Drink a glass of diluted lemon juice first thing in the morning. Lemon is rich in limonene, which encourages detoxification and helps fight cancer.
2. Avoid processed foods, ready meals and deep fried or sugary food as they clog your system up.
3. Make sure you are eating enough fibre each day. Most experts agree 25-50 mg per day is ideal. Eating your 5-a-day of fruit is a great way to get this.
4. The chlorophyll in green leafy vegetables helps brush out toxins such as heavy metals and pesticides.
5. Green tea is one of the best ways to get rid of toxic fluids as it speeds up liver activity.
1. Exercise – Regular activity helps your body excrete toxins more rapidly.
2. Get sweaty! – Have a sauna. Your body releases toxins through sweating.
3. Take a bath with Epsom Salts – ¼ cup of Epsom salts in a hot bath can help draw toxins out of your body.
4. Dry skin brushing – Before a bath or shower, this stimulates the body’s natural detox processes.
5. Sleep – Try and get between seven and eight hours sleep a night so your body has time to recharge.
How Can Tossed Can Help Your Detox Resolution?
Our salads are packed with green leafy vegetables bursting with chlorophyll to brush out those toxins. No products at Tossed contain refined sugars and carbs, artificial sweeteners or food additives.
Visit tosseduk.com to download your specially created 20-day detox meal plan.
Sign up to our detox tip of the day by emailing: [email protected].
Follow our protein-laden plan to make the most of those sessions in the gym and get your muscles bulging in no time!
The Science Behind Muscle-Building:
To build muscle you must focus your training on stimulating the growth of your fast- twitch muscle fibres. This means training for strength, not endurance . Train with heavy weights and low reps rather than light weights and high reps. As you train, your muscles tear and rebuild themselves becoming stronger and bigger.
1. Up your protein intake as this helps muscles repair and grow. Base all meals around lean protein; fish, chicken, eggs or tofu.
2. Eat more. Extra muscle will require extra energy. Go for about 300-500 extra calories a day.
3. Add protein powder to your Tossed smoothie after your workout. This is more easily broken down and absorbed by the body.
4. A good muscle-building diet should be composed of 30-50% protein, 20-50% carbohydrates and 20-40% fat (the majority of which should be essential fatty acids).
5. Eat regularly. Especially before and after every workout. Never allow yourself to get hungry as this will starve your muscles of the protein they need to grow.
6. Never get thirsty. This reduces exercise performance and doesn’t allow your muscles to grow (they are 80% water).
7. Take on some protein before you go to sleep so your muscles keep on growing.
1. Don’t go overboard with the workouts. 2 or 3 intensive 1 hr workouts per week should be enough.
2. Exercises should allow you to do 6 to 12 reps per set. Higher rep ranges will tone your muscles but may not sufficiently signal the body into muscle growth.
3. Busy? Do super sets (where you work two muscle groups without rest) to save time in the gym.
How Can Tossed Help Your Muscle-Building Resolution?
We have lots of low fat, lean protein options in-store to help you and all nutritional info is provided on the products.
Visit tosseduk.com to download your specially created 20 day muscle-building meal plan.
Sign up to our muscle-building tip of the day by emailing: [email protected].