These vegetarian koftas are flavoured with Frico Dutch Gouda, spring onions and flat leaf parsley. The smooth texture of the Gouda cheese is a great accompaniment to the spice and herbs used in this recipe.
Preparation time: 15 minutes, Cooking time: 12 minutes
6 spring onions, finely chopped
200 g (7 oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
150 g (5 oz) Frico Mild Gouda wedge, grated
2 g (1 tsp) ground cinnamon
2 g (1 tsp) paprika
4 g (2 tsp) ground cumin
7 g (2 tbsp) freshly chopped flat leaf parsley
30 ml (28 g) milk
30 g (3 tbsp) plain flour
Salt and freshly ground pepper to season
Oil, for brushing
Warmed pitta bread and salad to serve
1. Place the spring onions, breadcrumbs, Frico Mild Gouda, spices and parsley and in a large mixing bowl. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then mix thoroughly.
2. Separate one of the eggs and place the egg white in a shallow bowl and reserve. In another bowl, beat the egg yolk with the remaining egg, then stir into the crumb mixture with the milk.
3. Divide the mixture into 8 balls, and then using your hands roll into sausage shapes about 2.5 cm (1 inch) thick.
4. Beat the reserved egg white until frothy. Place the flour in a shallow dish. One by one dip the sausages in the egg white, then roll in the flour.
5. Thread onto skewers and brush with oil. Cook the sausages under a preheated moderate grill or shallow fry, for 10-12 minutes, turning occasionally until golden brown on all sides and cooked through.
6. Serve immediately with warmed pita bread and salad.