Looking for a healthy, hearty low-carb recipe for dinner tonight? Try this tasty baked chicken and French lentil dish from Bertolli. Stir some creme fraiche and spinach into the lentils before serving for the best results.
Preparation: 5 minutes
Cooking: 40 minutes
4 chicken legs
1 tbsp Bertolli spread
275g green or Puy lentils, rinsed and drained
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
1 red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
500ml chicken stock
250ml dry white wine
4 sprigs rosemary
100g baby spinach leaves
4 tbsp half fat crème fraiche
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, 200° C fan oven, gas mark 7. Rub the chicken pieces all over with Bertolli and season.
- Place the lentils, tomatoes, onion, garlic, stock, wine, and rosemary into a medium roasting tin, just large enough to take the chicken in a single layer, and stir to combine. Top with the chicken and cover with foil or a tight fitting lid.
- Place into the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 200°C,180°C fan oven, gas mark 6 and bake for 40-50 minutes.
- Remove the foil and cook for a further 10-15 minutes, until the chicken becomes a rich golden colour, is thoroughly cooked and its juices run clear. Remove from the oven and place the chicken onto warmed plates to rest.
- Stir the spinach, crème fraiche and some seasoning into the lentils. Serve immediately or at room temperature with the chicken. Great with steamed green beans.
Cooking tip: try using chicken thighs or a jointed bird on the bone for variation. This dish is perfect for the family or just as good for entertaining.