With British Tomato week upon us – 15 to 22 May – it seems a little ironic that it’s Dolmio who have come up with recipes that you might use to show your support. That said, these recipes use Dolmio’s Natural Bolognese sauce and they might inspire you to do something tomato flavoured during the week.
Sausage and Tomato Casserole
Preparation time 15 minutes, Cooking time 25-30 minutes
12 shallots, peeled and halved
450g low fat sausages
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2½ tbsp freshly chopped oregano
175g frozen peas
1-2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3 tbsp dry red wine
Freshly chopped flat leaf parsley and serve with creamy mashed potato or crusty bread
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas Mark 6. Put the shallots and sausages into an 18cm round oven proof dish. Cook in the oven for about 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
2. Meanwhile, pour the Dolmio Bolognese sauce into a pan along with the oregano, peas, Worcestershire Sauce and red wine.
3. Cook for 10 minutes until slightly reduced before adding the peas. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes until peas are cooked. Season to taste.
4. Serve the sausage casserole with creamy mashed potato or crusty bread and garnish with freshly chopped flat leaf parsley
Greek Style Chicken
Preparation time 10 minutes, Marinating time 30 minutes, Cooking time 50 minutes
450g chicken breast or thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
½ the grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
3 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and finely sliced
4 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1 medium aubergine, halved and sliced
2 medium courgettes, trimmed and sliced
1 x 450g can of artichokes, drained and halved (optional)
Freshly chopped flat leaf parsley, serve with warmed pitta bread and Greek yogurt
1. Place the chicken into a bowl with the lemon zest and juice. Stir well, cover and leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onions and aubergine and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the chicken and remaining marinade from the bowl. Add the courgettes and sun-dried tomatoes and Dolmio Bolognese sauce. Season to taste, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and cook for a further 10 minutes or until tender.
3. Add the artichokes hearts (if using) to the pan and heat for 5 minutes.
4. Serve hot or cold garnished with fresh parsley. Serve with pitta bread and yogurt.
Preparation time 10-15 minutes, cooking time 10-12 minutes
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
50g sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
2 sticks celery, trimmed and finely sliced
2-3 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp freshly chopped oregano
1 tsp tomato purée
1 small fennel, finely sliced
4 x 175g cod fillets
Few sprigs of dill and a slice of lemon, serve with seasonal vegetables
1. Heat the oil and fry the onions for 2-3 minutes or until soft. Stir in the oregano and then pour in the Dolmio Bolognese sauce and purée.
2. Add the fennel, sun-dried tomatoes, celery and fish to the frying pan covering them with the sauce. Place the lid over the pan and cook for a further 6-8 minutes or until the fish is just cooked.
3. Garnish the fish with sprigs of dill and lemon and serve with seasonal vegetables of your choice.