Makes 18 Slices
9 small pears, peeled and cored
Juice of ½ lemon
350 g (12 oz) plain flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground allspice
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
4 tbsp milk
100 g (3 ½ oz) Bonne Maman Mandarin Marmalade
100 g (3 ½ oz) black treacle
175 g golden syrup
175 g (6 oz) light muscovado sugar
175 g (6 oz) butter
5 cm (2 inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
50 g (2 oz) medium oatmeal
2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 170°c (fan oven 150°c), gas mark 3.
- Line a 20 cm (8 inch) square by 5 cm (2 inch) deep cake tin with non-stick baking parchment. Keep the pears in a bowl of water with a squeeze of lemon juice until needed.
- Put the flour and spices into a large bowl. In a cup, mix the bicarbonate of soda with the milk and set aside. Mix 2 tablespoons of the marmalade with 1 tablespoon of the black treacle, then set aside.
- Place the remaining marmalade in a pan with the remaining treacle and the syrup, sugar, butter and ginger. Pour 150 ml (¼ pint) water and heat gently until melted.
- Beat the marmalade mixture into the spiced flour along with the oatmeal followed by the eggs and milk. Pour a thin layer of the cake mixture over the base of the tin and bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Drain the pears. Take the tin out of the oven and push the pears into the base. Pour the remaining cake mixture around them and return to the oven for 1 hour and 25 minutes.
- Warm the reserved marmalade and treacle mixture in a small saucepan and brush over the hot cake to glaze. Serve warm and cold.