Serving scallops in the shell means there’s no need to get out fancy servingware. The salty savour of the bacon and blue cheese works a treat with the sweet seafood, as Hix Restaurants’ chef Ronnie Murray proves in this cracking canapÃƒÂ©.
Scallops with bacon and Castello Danish Blue potatoes
- 12 scallops, on the half-shell
- 2 large, floury potatoes
- 150g Castello Danish Blue
- 100g bacon lardons
- 20ml milk
- 100g breadcrumbs
- Small bunch of chives
- Check the scallops are all intact and lightly season, then put to one side.
- Peel the potatoes and boil in a pan until soft.
- Fry the bacon lardons in a dry pan until crisp, then lay on a piece of kitchen roll to drain. Keep the pan aside and do not wash.
- Mash the potatoes in the pan with a splash of milk and the cheese over a low heat until creamy.
- Preheat grill to moderate.
- Chop the chives and mix with the breadcrumbs. In the same pan used to fry the bacon, lightly toast the mixture until golden.
- Spoon the mash and bacon into the scallop shells.
- Place a scallop on the bed of mash, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and put under the grill for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.